Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Thursday 13


 I'm not sure where my love for the Ferris Wheel comes from. I love carnivals and fairs, so maybe that's it, but I can't pinpoint it exactly. Maybe part of it is the idea from which it was born, the fact that at first everyone doubted the engineering behind it. The Ferris Wheel was invented by George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr. in 1893 for the World's Columbian Exposition (the Chicago World's Fair). The Ferris wheel was brought to attention because the creators were looking for something to top the Eiffel Tower which was made for the previous World's Fair that was held in Paris. The Wheel was something absolutely brilliant and unthinkable for most at the time, because nothing like it had been created before.
I first learned of the history of the Ferris Wheel while reading Devil in the White City by Erik Larson... a book I suggest anyone interested in any kind of history read. 

and now onto the Wheels!
First ever. World’s Columbian Exposition: Ferris Wheel, Chicago, United States, 1893.

overgrown

Tokyo, Ferris Wheel

There will surely be a Ferris wheel in heaven.

county fair wheel

nightly Ferris


believe this is the Eye





overtaken


Berlin wheel

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know the origins of the ferris wheel. That was interesting. I've always like ferris wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. I like the overtaken ferris wheel.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2012/04/luncheon-not-soon-forgotten-barbara.html

    ReplyDelete